Saturday, December 23, 2017

Piecing Together the Pennsylvania Littlejohns

In my quest to either prove or disprove that a Rufus Littlejohn who dies in Beaver County, Pennsylvania in 1934 is the same Rufus Littlejohn from whom I'm descended, I've been seeking out obituaries to scour them for information. The hope was that the PA Rufus would have an obituary stating his parents' names - I know "my" Rufus's parents, so making the connection would be easy. But alas, I've found no obituary yet - no smoking gun, as it were.

However, I did get my hands on two additional obituaries recently. The PA Rufus was living in the home of his daughter Alma in 1930. Tracking her through records, we can find that her mother was Jane "Jennie" Alexander. The first new obituary is hers - it was published in the Beaver Falls Review on 13 May 1937:


 

The second obituary is for Jennie's daughter and Alma's half-sister, Madlin. It was published in the Beaver County Times on 2 December 1967:


Rufus Littlejohn was not Madlin's father, but again, receiving this obituary helps me reconstruct the family. It may be worth it to try to trace down the family tree to see if there are any living descendants who want to connect.

Do you know something about the Pennsylvania Rufus Littlejohn or his extended family that I should know about? Please drop me a note in the comments box below!

*Many thanks to the Beaver County Genealogy and History Center for doing the obituary look-up for me and mailing their findings.

No comments:

Post a Comment