Sunday, April 10, 2022

I'm DNA Testing!

Way back when - in 2016 - one of my maternal uncles took a DNA test. I wrote, "The Genetic Genealogy Hunt Has Started!" Lol. I posted some notes from his results, and then...nothing. I was in no hurry to do my own testing.

But, six years later, I have finally taken my first two tests! 

Test 1: Autosomal DNA Test from AncestryDNA

Why: I'm generally interested in backstopping my paper-based research with DNA, and seeing if any new connections will come up.

Test 2: mtDNA Maternal Line Ancestry Test from Family Tree DNA

Why: I want to know more about my matrilineal ancestry and know mitochondrial DNA may help me suss out answers to potential mysteries in my autosomal results.

I bought both tests when they were on sale around Christmas, so I saved a pretty penny. But then they sat and sat while I tried to decide if I trusted either company with my genetic privacy. (Spoiler: I don't, entirely, but I wanted my results more than I didn't want to send my samples.)

So, I finally sent my samples in last week, meaning I've got about another 3-7 weeks to wait until the results come back. Stay tuned - I'll be sure to post anything interesting that I learn (unless, of course, it's something crazy that needs to be processed offline!). I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment